Learning Analytics Summer Institute Europe 2024 (LASI Europe 24)
Co-organized by SNOLA and the SOLAR LACE SIG
Jerez de la Frontera (Spain), May 29-31, 2024
We are thrilled to announce the first European Learning Analytics Institute (LASI Europe 2024), themed «Facilitating Adoption of Learning Analytics in the European Context». This event is designed to bring together researchers for an engaging discussion on current advances and challenges related to learning analytics, especially in the European context.
The landscape of education is undergoing a remarkable transformation. Theory-driven and data-informed insights as well as AI-enhanced tools, are supposed to revolutionise the way we design, analyse, and support the learning process. On the other hand, the adoption that leads to student improved learning we witness in real practice is still very scarce.
At LASI Europe 2024, we seek to discuss existing challenges, promote community building, raise awareness on recent projects, and provide training opportunities on recent advances in the field. Thus, we invite researchers across the globe to contribute their expertise and insights to understand the European LA landscape better.
Theme: «Facilitating adoption of Learning Analytics in the European context»
Learning Analytics Summer Institute Europe 2024 (LASI Europe 2024) (https://lasieurope24.snola.es/), will take place in Jerez de la Frontera (Spain). The event is organised by SNOLA (the Spanish Network of Learning Analytics) and the SOLAR LACE SIG (the Learning Analytics Community Europe – Special Interest Group of the Society for Learning Analytics REsearch), and other networks in Europe and will have Universidad de Cádiz (UCA) as a host. This is an event that builds on previous LASI Spain and Nordic LASI editions as part of the global LASI network (https://www.solaresearch.org/events/lasi/), conceived as a platform to catalyse researchers across Europe around shaping the next generation of learning infrastructures to serve the needs now facing the education sector truly.
Learning Analytics has been called to improve learning practice by transforming how we develop learning and teaching activities and processes. The Horizon Report 2022 mentions LA as the first of 3 key technological trends in its overview of the future of teaching and learning. However, the adoption of these strategies in the European context is being slower than in other regions of the planet. Many challenges still remain to reach all the potential benefits attributed to LA, and open debates exist regarding the evolution of learning analytics and its consequences on learning and the educational system overall. Papers reflecting on these challenges and contributing new knowledge to the application of LA will be welcome.
The Call for Participation of LASI Europe 2024 invites European researchers to join this event, where the goals are promoting community building, raising awareness of recent projects, and providing training opportunities on recent advances in the field.
One major event will be the LASI Europe 2024 Doctoral Consortium. It is an important space for PhD students doing their work in LA in Europe to present and discuss their research in Learning Analytics. Selected PhD students will have the opportunity to present their work in a collaborative and constructive environment and receive valuable feedback from experts in the field. In addition, the Doctoral Consortium allows doctoral students to interact with their peers and connect with other researchers with similar interests. This forum will provide an enriching experience for doctoral students in the field of learning analytics and help them advance their academic careers. We invite PhD students to submit their work for consideration in the LASI Europe 2024 Doctoral Consortium.
The second but not least important event will be the presentation of groups and projects working in LA in Europe. We aim to offer networks, research labs, and individual researchers working in LA in Europe to meet, introduce themselves to the community, and discuss further opportunities of funding and collaboration. This may help strengthen European researchers’ presence in the global LA community. This event can be used by those working on projects related to LA to organise a proper dissemination event. Finally, we also aim to attract discussion, interaction, and new insights into Learning Analytics, by calling for workshops and tutorials. Researchers aiming to show their perspectives with an interactive approach and gain insight on them with the community’s help are encouraged to submit their workshop or tutorial proposals. These will be short events, of 1:30 or 3:00 hours, aiming to maximise the number of perspectives being shared in our meeting.
LASI Europe 2024 will revolve around the following key topics across educational contexts (from primary to higher education, vocational or lifelong learning), but not limited to:
- Learning analytics oriented to the assessment of competencies
- Learning analytics and self-regulated learning
- Adaptive learningTheoretical advances in learning analytics
- Ethical and privacy issues of learning analytics and AI in education
- Institutional adoption of learning analytics
- Technological developments and learning analytics: interoperable systems
- Multimodal learning analytics
- Physical spaces, virtual environments, and virtual worlds
- Discourse and sentiment analytics
- Social learning analytics
- Data transformation processes for learning analytics
- learning analytics for learning design
- Learning analytics in personal learning environments
- Learning analytics in Smart Learning Environments
- Human-centred learning analytics
- Artificial intelligence and learning analytics
By participating in LASI Europe 2024, you will have the chance to:
- Engage in discussions and workshops with experts on learning analytics and AI in Education
- Disseminate your research, projects, and innovations
- Forge collaborations and partnerships
- Weave networks for future project calls
- Gain valuable insights and takeaways applicable to your own research
All of this with a European perspective, that will help to strengthen links among groups working in similar or complementary topics and may help to boost collaboration at all levels (co-supervision of PhDs, new project proposals, networks of collaboration, etc.).
Forms of participation
At LASI Europe 2024, we seek to discuss existing challenges, promote community building, raise awareness on recent projects and provide training opportunities on recent advances in the field. While we will coordinate keynotes and panels, a doctoral consortium, as well as dissemination, networking and job-hunting sessions, we would like to encourage interactive knowledge transfer among participants. For that reason, we accept participants’ proposals to organise sessions such as tutorials, workshops, and hackathons.
Descriptions of PhD proposals in the area of learning analytics
- 9 March 2024 – PhD candidate application deadline (See instructions here)
- 5 April 2024 – Doctoral Consortium review
- 29 May 2024 – Doctoral Consortium at LASI Europe 2024
Project and group presentations
- 9 March 2024 – Submission of project/group descriptions (See instructions here)
- 5 April 2024 – Notification of acceptance
- 30-31 May 2024 – Presentations at LASI Europe 2024
Tutorial and workshop proposals
We welcome proposals of short (1.5 hours) or half-day (3 hours) interactive events focused on a topic of interest for the community. Organisers have to fill out a form (see below) describing the goals, methodology and content of the event.
- 9 March 2024 – Submission of workshop proposal (See instructions here)
- 5 April 2024 – Workshops notification
- 30-31 May 2024 – Workshops at LASI Europe 2024
LASI Europe has no registration fees (it’s free!), but registration is required to allow you access. (Registration will open on April, 8th 2024).
- Twitter: @snolaresearch @LACEsig